Sunday, November 22, 2009

Insomnia

Considering it is almost three o'clock in the morning and I am keeping myself up (but against my own will, sort of) I thought we could look at solutions to a problem it seems most of us face, except my husband, at one time or another...

Why am I up? Probably a couple of things: Drank coffee (regular Breakfast Blend at 7pm), frustrated with customer service (another story) and I opened my eyes and got up.

How I could be asleep? Enough ways that I could be if I tried...

1. Try and make your bedroom about just that, sleeping (yeah I know that doesn't quite flow, but again it's 3am). This means no work (don't worry I'm in the living room so as not to wake my husband who can sleep), no TV, no computer, no last minute twitter on your cell phone. Ok so in one fell swoop I violated all of these... Starting to see my problem? Studies have shown (you know, the same one you reference in all did-you-know conversations) that the lights in TVs and computers actually stimulate our brains so that it is harder for us to go to sleep. So if you are reading this and thinking the same thing I am (that I am not going to move my TV out of my bedroom because there is nothing better than a Saturday in bed watching a great movie) then just designate a time to turn it off and read a book. Apparently, though any exciting book should be avoided at bedtime because that keeps us up (read those insurance policies that don't make any sense). Again, nothing but bedtime oriented activities in the bedroom. This way, your body begins to associate the space with sleep. Now these studies have actually appeared in several of my psych textbooks and the moral of their story is that the more similar the location and atmosphere of the activity the easier the activity is. * True story * Participants who studied underwater, performed better on tests underwater (where they learned the material). You drive better in a car you're familiar with on a route you're familiar with, you test better in the same seat, same classroom you learned in, you sleep better with the same routine, the same room, same pillow you always sleep with. So... how in the world does anyone sleep on a plane!?!?

2. No exercise before bed. If you go straight to the gym from work, that's a-okay, but any later and you are waking your body up, so either give yourself that boost in the morning or make sure you fit it in about 3-4 hours before its time to nod off.

3. No caffeine. No chocolate, no candy, no coffee, no tea, no sugar. Yeah I think that one is pretty ridiculous too. But if you aren't eating after 7 or earlier it shouldn't be a problem?

4. Another study: Take a warm bath before you get in the bed, studies have shown that the drop in temperature (warm to cool) is actually getting us ready for bed, because our bodies typically like to sleep cooler since they actually tend to heat up (we warm up our sheets, blankets, mattresses during the night to create a toasty little bed furnace).

5. Now, if you are going to sleep but waking up still tired you might want to check your Snore Score on the American Sleep Apnea Association website. Sleep disorders are very common, so if you think you might exhibit some of the symptoms please consult a doctor and get some sleep!

**** Please know that this is my opinion and has not been evaluated by anyone, much less that FDA or CDC or even my mom. These are just ramblings of a sleep-deprived blogger. If you have any concerns about your sleep or any other health related issues, please consult a doctor! (One with a diploma and license is typically best)****

As for me, I am off to bed. I will not pick up my cell phone to check Twitter one more time. I will not watch any TV and I will try and drown out my husband's snoring (Thank you for your thoughts and prayers)

No comments:

Post a Comment